Friday, July 15, 2005

Opera under the Castle, Loket, Czech Republic


Opera under the Castle
Originally uploaded by Martin Callum.
So, as luck would have it, we arrived in Loket the day before opening night of the summer opera. For those of you who know me well, that is a strange thing for me to say. However, I did actually attend my first opera. And what a stage it was, with the castle perched high above. They also managed to use the grass next to the stage as part of the show, using 2 horses and a carriage as one of the props. My assumption now is that every opera should have live animals in the show, but Michelle tells me this is not the case. I also noticed that there was a lot more running in the opera than I expected, as the actors often ran from the stage across the grassed area to exit!!
To clarify some of these strange observations, it is fair to say that Michelle mistakenely underestimated the wine consumption, and we were finished our 2 bottles by the end of act one - with 2 more acts to go. So, it was on to some more great Czech beer from the vendors as we watched from our perch on the wall, eating bread, with brie, blue cheese and some fruit!!
An amazing night at the opera, and luckily it continued at a little local pub called 'Local', where we met some really nice Czech people and drank plenty more of the fantastically cheap beer!! Definitely one of our best nights of the trip so far. *Stub

No comments: