Monday, June 20, 2011

Grandad the Explorer

In January - Martin with Grandad, Uncle Chris and Aunt Hazel
One of my fears traveling is that you are so far away from home, and if something bad happens, it is not only hard to do anything, but sometimes it is a long time before you hear about it.  Well, this occurred in Swaziland, as I received news of my Grandad's passing in London, but not until about 5 days after it happened.  He was a strong 91 years old, and had been an inspiration for us to get out and explore.  Since my Grandmother died from Alzheimers about 15 years ago, he started doing so many things he always wanted to do; fly on Concorde, travel to Gibraltar, take the Rocky Mountain Railway in Canada, and he would even travel to France for the day, to name a few - and he was in his 80's.  He also enjoyed just getting on a bus in London, and seeing where it ended up only to return on the next one back - then take a different one the next day.  He just liked to get out and explore.  When I visited him on my first big trip in 2001, he gave me a walking tour of London, at the tender age of 81!!   We rode the buses, boats up the river Thames, and hiked up the hill to Greenwich.
A highlight of my return visit was when I met a bunch of travel friends at a river boat bar on the Thames.  Grandad came along, and was known across the bar as "Grandad" to everyone.  All had a great time with him, and I think he really enjoyed his night out with all the 'kids' - not to mention his fish and chips at the bar!  I walked him to the Tube at about 10PM, and he found his own way home from there.  We repeated this a few years later, but this time my Dad was able to join us at the boat - 3 generations!!
He was a good man, and still very "with it" mentally.  Michelle and I were lucky to visit him just in January, and he asked a lot of astute questions about our trip, and shared some of his stories from when he was stationed in Egypt during the war.  A nice visit and a very good memory with him.
Cheers to my Grandad, we remember you fondly.   *Stub

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin and Michelle. Still following your African tour and your many adventures. Just wanted to say so sorry for your lost. Even though you maybe far away love ones never forget you and always want you to make the most of each day. Steve and Chris