Monday, November 14, 2005

Shanghai Urban Planning Museum, Shanghai, China

During our 4 days in Shanghai, we visited the Urban Planning Museum. A good, informative place with the highlight being this full scale model of the city almost taking up the entire floor - quite impressive. We also took a walk along the Bund, the famous embankment along the Huangpu River, which literally means muddy embankment. Here are all the really expensive hotels and restaurants. In addition to this, we spent about 3 hours up the Oriental Pearl Tower to watch sunset and the lights come on from 350 m (1100 ft) up in the air. Shanghai is very modern, with tons of skycrapers all flashing with lights!
A trip from new to old, or almost old as we went to the old town. Apparently, it has been renovated to look like the old town, with pointy roofs, and bridges over water and gardens. We waited in a long line for the city's best jiaozi (pronuonced 'jow za'), little meat dumplings dipped in vinegar, and they were worth the wait.
While I am talking about food, we feel like we are cheating a little when I say we gobbled up plenty of Western style food whilst in Shanghai. But, after so much Chinese style noodles and dumplings, a big, juicy hamburger is a welcome treat. It is just not that easy to find. I justify this by saying that, if I was back home, I wouldn't eat burgers and steaks every night!! *Stub

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!
I received your postcard yesterday! Thank you! I loved it.
Wanted to let you know that I regulary check out your web site. love it too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Martin, we miss you in Mexico.
Thanks for the postcard. It's good to know you both are doing great on th other side of the world. I agree with lynne your blog and pictures are awesome!!!