Wednesday, May 31, 2006

News at Everest!

And now for some good news....

It happened the next morning after we arrived at Everest. We awoke to a cloud-filled valley and no sign of Everest, but it soon burnt off and we had blue skies and amazing crystal clear views. For breakfast we took our block of cheese and biscuits up a small hill overlooking our campsite and of course, Everest. I was feeling nauseaous and dizzy from the climb at altitude and all I wanted to do was rest. Martin on the other hand wanted to take more photos. Hadn't we taken enough?, I said. (Of course we had!) Did I want to take my big fleece gloves off?, he said. Why? They look silly, he said. OK, 'whatever', I thought. I was feeling quite ill at this point. Anyway, with the camera ready on its tripod on timer, Martin rushed over for the photo, but instead of standing beside me, he got down on one knee. I couldn't believe it! This photo was of that very precise moment. Of course, I knew what it meant but I was SOOOO shocked I didn't really hear what he said and it's a bit of a blur. For once I was lost for words... although I did manage to blurt out a 'yes' through my streaming tears. It took me a few days to get over the surprise, but it was nice to share it with Alan, and later with Amy and Sarah (who had stayed lower at the monastery). What a great location for a proposal! *Mush

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful news.......every happiness to you both as you contune lifes journey together forever! Love, Lindsay, my Martin, Carly, Ben, Rhys & Junie xx