Thursday, April 13, 2006

Martin recovers from a broken leg in record time... Dalat, Vietnam

A quick funny story :
While we were in Da Lat in the central hills, our U.S. taxes were due on the 15th April and Martin's friend, Butter, offered to help us fill our tax forms - actually, he pretty much did it all (thanks Butter!). Because of the time difference between here and America, Martin went out to the internet early one morning to catch Butter regarding the forms. Of course he said that he would be back in an hour or so. I pottered around our room. A couple of hours passed and no sign of Martin. And then I remembered he was going to rent a motrobike, so I gave him more time. By the time 3 and a half hours had gone by, I was pretty concerned and decided that it would be pretty rotten if he were sitting in a hospital bed all alone. The hospital was literally a 1 minute walk up the street (I'd visited there earlier in the week after being stung by a bee - I have a bad allergic reaction to bee stings). Anyway, I walked around trying to find someone who spoke English. Finally someone did and I asked after Martin. After about 5 minutes of investigation, I was told that he had been in, but apparently, I had just missed him by 15 minutes. This was a little strange as we were one minute away and I would have passed him on the street! Anyway, she then informed me that he had broken his leg! Well, I was beside myself, but I asked her again if she was sure it was a 'Martin Callum', and she was sure. I flew back to the hotel. Having seen the note I'd left for him, Martin was WALKING up towards the hospital. What a relief to see him, but I was a mess! And what a remarkable recovery!! So apparently, there's another Martin Callum or at least some foreigner with a broken leg out in Da Lat somewhere - poor guy! * Mush

No comments: