Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Mountain Biking through Local Village, Guangxi, China

Mush and I met up with a Canadian couple (Tracy and Paul) that live near Shanghai. Tracy had to get back to work, after a battle with food poisoning and a 38 hour bus, train, bus, taxi ride she was home. Paul decided to stay and enjoy the scenery of Yangshuo, so we decided to get out on a mountain bike and see the country side more. Now, I found out that Paul has actually competed in 5 Ironman Triathlons! Needless to say, I was a little worried about keeping up. A hot day, a very out of shape body, and I was exhausted. He took it easy on me, but I really struggled a lot of the way. 45 km through the hills and villages, with some amazing views from above the valleys. All the locals were really friendly, coming out to say hello, and excited when you reply! Through terraced fields of all different colours and all the while, the limestone pinnacles behind. Made for a pretty amazing ride, but I really enjoyed the final 10 km as most of it was downhill, heading into the sunset with the silhouetted hills around. Of course, I crashed hard when I got home! *Stub

No comments: